Monday, July 11, 2016

How are you doing? How is your faith?


I have not been here in a while. I have been busy. Yes-- bee-z like a bee. Let me make a confession: I think in a desperate measure never to run on empty again [thank you 2014!] I became too full-- but full of self. Good. Now that this is out here, I need to retrace my steps to the fountain of GOODNESS and drink from the main source of life- Jesus Christ!

Sometime last week, I picked up my Bible, dusted it and started reading again. I started with the book of Acts, purposefully.

So far, some things that jumped out at me:

  1. The disciples experienced the mighty move of the Holy Spirit when they walked together in unity and with one purpose. Nothing beats unity of purpose! Be it in a relationship, marriage, friendship, family, workplace, country -- where people are united, things happen!
  2. After the disciples received the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost, people came wanting to know what happened to them. Peter in his message mostly shared his testimony. Those who heard the message surrendered and turned from their evil ways. If you really want to win souls for Christ, tell your story-- share your testimony. Of course, it is the work of the Holy Spirit to turn hearts to God. Our role? Share the testimony, the good news. No theory, no doctrine, no philosophy. Your testimony!
  3. Simon. Not Peter.
  4. Simon. The magician. Incredible man. He heard/saw the miracles that God was doing through the apostles and decided to turn from his magic and followed them. He walked closely with them. But one day, he couldn't hide his pretence anymore. He offered the disciples money so that he too can work miracles. Incredible right? Trust the disciples. They rebuked him! The power of the Holy Spirit is not for sale. 
  5. Simon. It sounds like he humbled himself. He asked for them to pray for him.
  6. Simon. My take? Not everyone who comes to "church" or looks like "church" is truly saved. Jesus knows those who are his! We must keep praying for one another. 
  7. The Apostles suffered sha! Persecution here and there. Threats. Beating. Imprisonment. Being a follower of Jesus or a believer does not mean that your life will be easy. It will be tough. But God will always send you help.
  8. Saul. After he got saved stayed close to the disciples before he was later sent out. It is important not to try to grow in isolation when you receive the gift of salvation. It is also important not to stay in the position that will cause you to backslide or turn back to those things that God delivered you from. Stay close to other believers and trust the Holy Spirit to help you grow.
  9. Stephen. He was stoned to death because of his faith. He prayed for these enemies as they stoned him to death. Amazing! A heart like Jesus!
  10.  Great signs and wonders did follow those who believed. Just as Jesus said in Mark 16:17!
I am still reading...I am feeling very challenged by these testimonies. It is not enough to carry the title of Christianity up and down without any fruit to show. 

How are you doing? How is your faith?

My prayer for this month-- 

Empty me of self and fill me up, Lord.

Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment