Monday, December 26, 2016

I'm waiting on God. Really? How are you waiting?

Image via IoT
Are you waiting on God? How are you waiting? Do you know there is a foolish way of waiting? It came alive to me last week. I played a major character in the encrypted script.

So we had an office party, and I invited our "new" roommate. The evening was lovely. And we left early so that our roomie can go pack up her things to her new home - our place.

We both agreed that she would text/call me once she arrives at the building so that I could meet her and let her in and also help her with some of the things. It will take her like 45 minutes or so she said.

Then I got home, changed out of my work clothes and all that. Placed the phone by my pillow and dozed off. I remember waking up now and then to check my phone. But no sign of text or call from her. I slept off again.

After a while, I woke up from my slumber and checked my phone. Alas! It was past midnight. I had about 14 or so missed calls and 3 SMS from our new roomie. Oh boy, I jumped out of bed. But I didn't have to go far because I saw bags and someone else cuddled on a bed at the other end of a room.

She got in. Our other roommate [our host] let her in...

To cut a long story short, as I reflected on how everything had played out, I realized that in a way the event that night reflects how I might have been waiting on God too.

You know, even if my roommate did not arrive at the time we both agreed, knowing that she was going to return, I should have actively kept watch and waited for her call instead of cuddling comfortable in bed. I could have sat at the table, read a book, stayed on the computer. Or do something other than snuggling comfortably in bed that made me sleep off on the watch.

Fellow soldiers in Christ, are you waiting for the Lord's return? How are we waiting? Are we expectant but tired out? Knocked out of breath? Or waiting while actively reflecting the ways of our Lord, preaching the gospel, reaching out to lost souls with love and compassion?

Are we watching and praying?

Remember the parable of the wise and foolish virgins? God forbid that we miss the mark!

“Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming." Matthew 25:13

Are we waiting on God for the manifestation of what He has spoken concerning our lives? How are we waiting? With high expectation, while feeding our faith or just chilling and NetFlix?

"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31 KJV

How are we waiting? May the Holy Spirit, our wonderful counsellor, empower us to keep watch and not slip off or sleep off on duty.

Shalom!



No comments:

Post a Comment