Saturday, September 28, 2013
Here are 6 reasons why it is important to go to church (shared by Pastor Ovie of Christ Embassy Church, Lafia):
1. To fellowship with the brethren and fellowship with God through Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit.
2. To receive instructions in righteousness.
3. To receive information in the Kingdom. These are informations that will take us to the next level.
4. To be strengthened in the inner man.
5. To worship God in psalms, hymns, with our substance.
6. We come to church to receive cleansing, by the utterance of the Word and the ministration during service.
I'll add: going to church should be an experience, not a task or another activity we just check-off our to-do lists.
Are you going to church today? Go with an expectation. God will not fail you!
Thursday, September 26, 2013
1. Love and honour your mother. Learn from her mistakes. It will save you a lot of headache in your thirties (30s) and beyond.
2. You are more talented than you'll ever know. You don't need to sleep with your Boss/supervisor to get a promotion at work or better grades at school. Burn late night candles, put extra time to study and practice until you master your skill. Hard work still pays well.
3. Women can build a strong support network. Don't let few ladies with "Pull Her Down" syndrome discourage you from cultivating true relationship with your female friends.
4. When a man you meet for the first time babbles about how much he earns working for an oil company and how rich he is, that is a red flag. He is either a married smooth-talker who just wants to sleep with you or he is childish. Walk away from deceit.
5. Make your own money. Start small. Maintain a stable bank account. It will keep you out of trouble.
6. When you meet your Soulmate, don't forget to wear your most priceless ornament- submission and humility. But while waiting for him, don't cling to any man to rescue you. Some men these days are also seeking for who will rescue them.
7. Know your body. Look at yourself in front of a full-length mirror at least once a week, naked and after clothed. Know your body and how it works.
8. Life is a gift. But to revel in it, you must be ready to put a lot into nurturing your gifts/talents and skills. Start early.
9. Teenage ended at 19. Clocking 20 means doing away with childish behaviour. But it does not mean you should forget to have fun.
10. Learn the basic skills and let yourself grow- from how to keep your underwear clean, cook, socialize, and network to how to drive a car.
11. Don't do drugs. It kills. Read books, its fortifies. Dance as often as you can, it liberates your spirit, soul and body.
12. Learn to laugh at yourself. It is a good way to build a healthy self-esteem.
13. Eat healthy. Learn to cook for yourself. Don't rely on noodles alone. The cooking skill will be useful in future.
14. Don't give up when you fail. Try again. And again. Then, try another legit way. Don't give up on education/learning.
15. Fear of the future is just that- a fear. It is a state of mind you must learn to tame. Don't let fear pull the carpet from under your feet. The Holy Bible tells us that God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.
16. Let go of past hurts. You cannot move forward if you keep looking back. Holding on to bitter experiences and regrets will stale your future.
17. Learn to exhale, love deeply and be kind to others, especially those of low estate, and the lowest of low.
18. You are beautiful the way you are. Don't compare yourself to others.
19. Partnership builds bridges. Don't ever forget that.
20. Prayer is the master key. Have faith in God and always have the courage to use your voice wisely. Dream bigger.
Bonus: Enjoy the highs and lows that come with being in your 20s but don't be afraid to grow older. Live life to the fullest and don't forget to smile!
Source: OUTSPOKEN: 20 Things Every Woman In Her 20s Must Know. http://www.femmelounge.org/jennifer-ehidiamen-20-things-every-woman-in-her-20s-must-know-outspoken/
Saturday, September 14, 2013
Minister: Mrs Nepthali Gladys
Event: NCCF Sisters' conference, Nasarawa Eggon
September 14, 2013
Who is an excellent woman?
An excellent woman is a near- or perfect woman in all things. She learns through life as she grows.
-- Praising an excellent woman is not a right and it does not come early. Note Proverbs 31:11-12 came before Proverbs 31:29.
-- An excellent woman is a planner. Proverbs 31:15
When you plan well, you will not be busy and guilty at the same time. Your role as daughter, sister, wife, mother, business woman etc will not clash. When it does, you'll have the wisdom to handle it right.
-- Being an excellent woman is not about the money.
-- Being an excellent woman is not automaric. You must be determined. Proverbs 31:16
-- An excellent woman is humble, irrespective of her background. She does not look down on her husband. Proverbs 31:23.
-- An excellent woman is not lazy, both spiritually and physically. Proverbs 31:17; Proverbs 31:25; Ephesians 6:10, 14, Proverbs 31:10.
-- An excellent woman is beautiful inside out. Proverbs 31:22; 1Peter3:2-4; Psalm 1:3.
-- An excellent woman is gentle and quiet. She is not arguementative. Proverbs 31:26.
-- An excellent woman prays and teaches her children the same value.
-- An excellent woman is hospitable. Proverbs 31:20.
-- An excellent woman trusts in the Lord.
-- An excellent woman accepts her.wrong and makes correction.
-- An excellent woman is a role model. Titus 2:3-5.
-- An excellent woman is a preacher of God's word. She studies the word and meditates on it. Her root grows deep. Psalm 1:3
-- An excellent woman is not in a rush to hear her husband call her an excellent woman. Proverbs 31:28-29.
---- May God send us a man after His own heart.
Thursday, September 12, 2013
Growing up, I've always been told to abstain from pre-marital sex. As a matter of fact, I did ask those who gave the advice why many times ;-) That is a story for another day. But as I mature in the things of faith, I'm begining to understand these issues from a fresh perspective.
Abstaining from all forms of sexual immorality- pre-martial sex/fornication, adultery, philandering and it likes will save us a lot of heartaches. We won't be exposed to all manners of sexually transmitted infections and diseases. Have you seen the statistics lately? Abstinence will also give us rest of mind. We won't need to look-over our shoulders or frantically clean up traces to fake a reputation. Most importantly, abstinence from sexual immorality is our way of showing gratitude to God for His unending love and mercy towards us.
Abstinence is not false purity. Trust me, it appears harder these days because it has become almost a norm to be sexually active outside marriage. It is hard when you are sorrounded by the seeming "glory" of temptation and pleasures of sin. But what is a 3 minute of pleasure compared to an immeasurable consecrated lifestyle that honors God? When God says He will honor those who honor Him, He will! Yes, He sees the sacrifices we make. He does honor!
Here is how 'the woman's study bible' captures it: The believer is not to be modeled by the pressures of the sinful world. We are to experience a transformation, a new way of thinking made possible through the power of the Holy Spirit.
When next you are face to face with a lure to bend over for a few minutes of pleasure, run! Don't stand and expect to fight it down. Ask Joseph :-) He'll tell you same thing- run, flee! (Genesis 39:6-12). Joseph honored God and he (Joseph) was elevated. Ask any historian the pivotal role Joseph played in Israel's prosperity. So you see, that act positions you for trans-generational manifestation. But don't get me wrong, this is not a way to bribe God, condemn others or try to appear holier than thou. It is a lifestyle. Your business.
Abstinence from all forms of sexual immorality is a GREAT way to worship God. It HONORS Him.
See Romans 12:1; 1 Corinthians 6:18-20; Genesis 39:6-12.
Some of us might have fallen short. But today is a great day to start afresh! Pray for forgiveness and ask God for the enabling grace to honor Him with all of you. When we repent, it means consciously retracing our steps and following a new direction. Don't allow anyone or anything pull you back to the old habits.
It is possible to abstain from sex if you are not married. It is possible to be faithful to ONE partner if you are married. It is a conscious decision we have to make. Don't deny yourself the opportunity to express your gratitude by honoring God with your body, revel in Him!
"...Lust is lost.
But he'll return
and find no room
in my cleansed robe.
No viper in my bosom.
My crown is restored unto honor.
and at peace, I am royalty."
I write this to you as I write it to myself. Life is learning and growing.
Sunday, September 1, 2013
I was scrolling through my FaceBook timeline this morning when updates from The Father's House page caught my attention.
Friends, the topic that was being preached was titled, "The Great Commission (Evangelism)." As I read through the different posts on the main page, I realized how similar it was to what was preached at Christ Embassy Lafia (where I worship) earlier this morning.
I'm like, wow!! Exact same thing being preached in two different churches in two different states on the same day?
The text we read in church was taken from Matthew 5:13-16 and Ezekiel 33:1-9.
Our mandate as Christians is to preach the gospel, salt the lives of others, shine our light and win souls for Christ! We are set as watch men.
Remember Christ's instruction? In one word, we are to GO...! Mark 16:15-20.
Nations are for the asking... Psalm 2:8.
No more slacking! Start at your own Jerusalem (sphere of influence). Don't keep the truth & goodness of God to yourself.
May God grant us the grace and boldness we need to propagate His word!